Navigating Career Seasons: Insights for the 91%

Today, let’s delve into the concept of the 9%, those resilient individuals who successfully stick to their New Year’s resolutions.…

  • Listen on Apple Podcasts
  • Listen on Google Podcasts
  • Listen on Spotify Podcasts
  • Listen on Amazon Podcasts

Hello, friends! I’m Aricia Shaffer, a Master Career Strategist, and welcome to another episode of Discover Your Calling. Today, let’s delve into the concept of the 9%, those resilient individuals who successfully stick to their New Year’s resolutions. If you’re among them, kudos! For the rest of us in the 91%, this show is tailored just for you.

Understanding Career Seasons:  As we embark on our career journeys, we navigate various seasons—student life, career exploration, parenthood, retirement, and the inevitable changes life throws our way. Just as the seasons impact nature, they also influence our decisions and actions. Daniel Kahneman, in “Thinking, Fast and Slow,” introduces the concept of noise, emphasizing how external factors affect our choices.

The Challenge of January Resolutions:  Setting resolutions in the midst of winter, a time of darkness and post-holiday fatigue, can be challenging. Whether it’s adopting a freezing cold shower routine or making drastic lifestyle changes, the timing matters. The 9% who succeed often have resolutions aligned with their comfort zones and genuine desires.

Harmony with Nature’s Seasons: Considering nature’s seasons, spring emerges with renewed energy and inspiration. It’s a time for envisioning, goal-setting, and contemplating the future. This parallels well with career planning and finding one’s path. I recommend staying within your comfort zone, fostering innovation, and aligning actions with personal desires rather than societal expectations.

Winter as a Time for Introspection: Contrary to January’s push for drastic actions, winter serves as an excellent period for introspection. If uncertain about your career direction, winter allows you to reflect on where you want to be next year and make thoughtful decisions. Rather than succumbing to January pressure, consider the spring as an energetic time for change.

Strategic Networking in Winter: Winter is conducive to reconnecting with old friends and laying the groundwork for future endeavors. Networking doesn’t have to involve explicit career discussions; it can be a casual coffee catch-up. This season encourages reflection and preparation for the upcoming work challenges, much like planting seeds for a fruitful harvest.

Taking Small Steps: To ease into change, start small. Whether it’s jotting down ideas, networking, or reconnecting with friends, lay the groundwork during the winter months. It’s about initiating small steps that align with the introspection and reflection typical of this season.

Conclusion: As you navigate your career seasons, remember that timing matters. Embrace the natural ebb and flow of life, and don’t be too hard on yourself if January resolutions feel challenging. Winter is a time for introspection and strategic groundwork. Enjoy the season you’re in, and I’ll talk to you soon. Take care!

JOIN MY WORKSHOPS

Your first step is to reach out for a complimentary session.
We’ll talk about where you are with your career, where you want to go, and I’ll provide some thoughts and resources.
You’ll leave with some fresh ideas, insights, and maybe even an “aha” or two.

RELATED PODCASTS